Seamlessly connect optics to silicon
Wideband surface coupling
Detachable fiber connectivity
Self-aligning optics for large assembly tolerances
Teramount’s patented self-aligning optics technology, realized within the Photonic-Plug and Photonic-Bump components, offers better than ±30µm / 0.5dB of assembly tolerances when aligning single-mode (SM) or polarization-maintaining (PM) fibers to a silicon photonics chip.
Large assembly tolerances are a key issue for the enablement of large number of fibers passive assembly protocols. In addition, it is crucial for enhancing system thermal management.
Incorporating wafer-level optical elements for enabling
Teramount’s patented “self-aligning optics” technology.
The Photonic-Plug makes use of wafer-level processes for
accurate placement of optical elements, thus shifting
accuracy requirements from assembly to wafer
Versatile design easily adapts to customer’s use-case and
PIC characteristics (Detachable vs. Bonded, Waveguide vs.
Grating Coupling, Fiber pitch & count, etc…).
Teramount’s Photonic-Bump aligns photonics with standard semiconductor manufacturing, packaging and testing flow. The Photonic-Bump is an optical element attached to the customer’s silicon photonics PIC using die-to-wafer assembly. It enables:
- Beam deflection optics for wideband surface coupling to replace the complicated side-coupling geometry.
- Spot-size conversion for matching waveguide and single-mode fiber spot sizes.
- Large assembly tolerances via Teramount’s “Self-aligning Optics” technology.
- Wafer-level testing, allowing surface probing of silicon photonics wafers prior to dicing.
- Planar separation between fibers and silicon photonics chip for efficient optical and electrical packaging.
Wideband surface coupling
Teramount’s Universal Photonic Coupler incorporates beam-deflection optics optimized for WDM silicon photonics chips. It enables wideband surface-coupling, thus avoiding the complexity of typical fiber side-coupling.
Wideband surface coupling provides optical access for silicon photonics wafer-level inspection.
Detachable fiber connectivity:
Game changer for co-packaged optics
- Detachable Universal Photonic Coupler ushers in a new era of detachable and serviceable fiber connectivity for co-packaged optics.
- Post reflow assembly, improving packaging yield.
- Effective PIC testing pre- and post-fiber assembly through Teramount’s Photonic-Bump and planar coupling geometry.
- Large number of fibers for co-packaged optics and high bandwidth applications.
- No mid-board connector: One fiber ribbon from PIC to faceplate for higher optical throughput and improved insertion loss.
providing our customers with unparalleled high bandwidth and low power consumption”